A growing number of health plans, hospitals, and philanthropies are developing strategies to address upstream social determinants of health for Medicaid beneficiaries. We know that great strategies spring from great strategic thinking — but we collectively know little about the frameworks that these stakeholders are using to shape their approach to this complex transformation.
This webinar, co-hosted with Blue Shield of California Foundation (BSCF) and USC Gehr Family Center for Health Systems Science, presents real-world challenges and insights from a series of case studies and offers recommendations for healthcare leaders who seek to improve the way their organizations think and act on the path upstream.
- Rishi Manchanda, MD, MPH, Founder & President, HealthBegins
- Dora Barilla, DrPH, GVP, Community Health Investment, Providence St. Joseph Health
- Peter Long, PhD, President and CEO, Blue Shield of California Foundation
- Sonali Saluja, MD, MPH, FACP, USC Gehr Family Center for Health Systems Science
By the end of the webinar, attendees will be able to:
- List at least two challenges facing healthcare organizations engaged in strategic planning for social determinants of health.
- Describe at least three strategic frameworks used by healthcare organizations, as well as their strengths and limitations.
- Outline a simple, stepwise approach to make upstream strategic planning more productive for healthcare leaders.
Upstreamist In Action: How the YMCA Increased Its Diabetes Impact Through a Simple Upstream Strategy
Jen Nicodemus, Director of Health Innovations at the State Alliance of Michigan YMCAs, had a problem on her hands. Her organization had an effective program to promote the health of the members in their community, but some of the people who might benefit most weren't using it. Here's the...